Today I put a little more effort into my porridge than usual! Channelling sweet pie flavours and spices, it came out more like a pudding than a breakfast – which works for me as I could eat dessert for every meal.
- 1/2 cup of barley & oat porride
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 small kumara/sweet potato
- 1/2 small apple
- 2 tsp stevia
- 1 tsp cinammon
- 1 tsp cardamon
- 1 T mixed raisins and nuts
- 1/4 cup almond milk
1. Cut the apple and kumara up in 3 cm cubes and cook in boiling water for about 7-10 minutes, until soft.
2. Scoop the half cup of oat into a microwave safe bowl. Add the water that was used to boil the apple, about a cup worth. Cook porridge on high for three minutes.
3. Mash the kumara.
4. In a small bowl or saucer mix the spices and sweetener.
5. Add spices, kumara, apple and nut mix to the porridge. Add milk to serve.
Not the most beautiful looking porridge, but very delicious and full of complex carbs to start the day!